Sunday, January 27, 2013

 

Japanese Garden Seminar


Kosugi Garden Seminar, Atami City, Japan

Two Certificates, Japanese Garden History, Construction, Maintenance

They read, "History and development of Japanese Gardens, planting and pruning of Japanese plants (including bonsai), Japanese pathway construction and stone arrangement, usage of Japanese lanterns, construction of Japanese bamboo fences and earthen walls. All workshops were carried out in Atami, Japanese nurseries in Saitama and Chiba prefecture or in public and historical gardens in Atami City and Odawara City."

February 2012

This begins the story of my experiences and I will post it in many sections as I have over three hundred pages of notes and 5000 photos. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to share it as lectures and classes and the material lends itself best to those style of presentation.
 
Travel Days

Just one month ago I realized that my free time in February matched the English-speaking courses offered through the European Landscape Association and I decided to take a chance on a new experience. I had been to Tokyo years ago and longed to return to see the fabulous shapely pines of the Imperial Palace grounds. Although there were trips to Shanghai, Taiwan and Korea since then, Japan remained my favorite country to visit in Asia. After beginning to learn about bonsai and designing a couple Japanese-inspired gardens, it was time for a hands-on learning experience with a Japanese company that was willing to share their world.

Bright pink and plum clouds, the smell of coffee, and some strums of acoustic guitar start my day at the airport. The headcold that started 24 hours ago makes my eyes heavy when I want to be wide awake reading my Japanese phrasebook. When traveling to another country my routine is to memorize key phrases like: my apologies, thank you, where is the toilet (bathroom isn’t clear enough), and counting to ten. The numbers have been helpful over the years for critical travel details such as finding a train departure and asking costs.

After a few minutes speaking with a Japan Railway ticket agent, I am on a white bullet train to Shinagawa. Houses along the way display trained trees and shrubs no matter how simple or elaborate the location. Glass and plastic greenhouses are common along the rice paddies and even occupy a few urban blocks in Chibu. Orange-filled trees dot many of the small yards adding polka-dots of color to the otherwise still winter gardens. That is not to say that they are not green, far from it. Evergreen plants far outnumber the deciduous but they are not commonplace or simplistic placeholders of unpaved real estate. These are hedges and topiaries. These are trees and shrubs that have been cloud-pruned, windswept-trained, coppiced, and formed by every other manner of shaping that I have yet to learn about.

The plants are their owner’s demonstrations patience and caretaking that is clearly embedded in the culture after centuries of learning. They live in meditation with nature. These are not just small bonsai that I see from the train but 15’ black pine clouding up an entrance. Sycamores march up numerous streets in allees pollarded to 10’ wide lining the avenues of several different towns. Entire collections of ten-foot tall this and that’s surround many small yards to lend the shapely whimsy reminiscent of some cartoon books for children.

Waking up on this first morning it is easy to forget that Atami City, Japan is a sea town. Sunrise wakes up the birds and they start making slow circles as they ride the air currents from the ocean up the hillsides toward my window. Through the morning fog I can just make out the outline of land across the bay, dozens of orange trees down the slope, outlines of clipped pines, bright blue tile roofs, and heavy patches of bamboo. This will be the place I will come to know during my time here over the next three weeks to learn as much as I can about Japanese garden design.

Day 1

1st order of the day is to pre-order lunch...
 
 
 
Atami City, Japan, looking out of the window of our breakfast restaurant where we had a lovely choice between Western sets or traditional Japanese sets. A small tourist center, there are hot springs underground that not only keep it's semitropical plants in a microclimate of happiness, but it's people also happy with welcoming naturally heated mineral baths or "Onsen."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment